After our lunch we headed towards "Old Town", across the Royal palace courtyard and had a very delightful time walking the winding streets, popping into various shops to see what they offered and exclaiming at the amazing architect, & color.
Quaint coffee and pastry shops dotted the area. A school and school yard we came upon unexpectedly around a corner--the very narrow streets, cobblestones, twists & turns and somehow we came across the very narrowest street that Laura wanted to show us and didn't know how to find.
Very unique. Some 200 pictures worth! It's going to be hard to narrow down which ones to post here.
Down the streets--as you can see, these particular streets are made for walking, not cars! There was traffic on the cross streets tho.
Accross a bridge (remember, we're on islands here in Stockholm, the Baltic sea and Lake Malaren)
Map of the royal palace area in Old town
Royal guards--we did end up not being able to see this --it's only once a day & the next day we were too late afterall (along with the fact that the next day (Saturday when we went sightseeing, it was very rainy!)
Heading off down the winding narrow streets of old town.
I can't remember exactlly where this was, I think it was actually before we got into the middle of old town, as the streets are vehicle wide here. Notice the school grounds/enterance & bikes to the right?
aha! Chocolate! Alas, can you believe we didn't stop?
See Ruth Shopping?
The shop right behind us was a delightful little Misc "junk" antique, collectible shop.
We had no idea where we were going as we turned down these little streets. We could only see that they turned and went a different direction, on to more streets to explore.
The school and school yard/kids playing that we came accross. Some of the school rooms were in buildings accross the street. Although the yard was partically enclosed, it was open to people wandering by on the streets.
And here is the narrowest street with many steps that we found. Of course we had to go down it!
Now, I'm not honestly sure if I've duplicated photos or not. If so, maybe someone will let me know so I can remove the extra!
Coming next--Still on Fridays tour, many more miles of walking before we found Junibacken, a museum about the books by Astrid Lindgren
So fun to see your travels..if pix are posted more than once, I'd say no problem..better more than not at all :) We had a good Sunday (if you can call visiting the hospital good :) ...meeting was good, anyway..Bernita with us at Cari Ann and Vern's, dinner there with Garland's brother & wife before they headed back home. Mom Samona is holding her own today. Love you!! Garland and Lorna
ReplyDeleteI assure you, my arms are NOT loaded with goodies the way it looks in the pic -- I only bought a small souveneir coffee mug & bell!
ReplyDeleteTell Walker and Johanna Kinman and family hi from us if you see them!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you are having fun. Even if it means a lot of walking. :)
ReplyDeleteIt looks so familiar! We enjoyed our ten day trip through Sweden. It's a beautiful country. It does rain a lot, but it is also very green and lush. What a wonderful trip you're having.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures! It looks like you're having an amazing trip. Thanks for another update! I can't wait to see the one about Pippi Longstocking.
ReplyDeletethese are terrific. Can't wait to hear details!!!! And see ALL the photos :) love you.
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are AMAZING!!! Just beautiful. I am sure all the memories you are making are just as amazing too!
ReplyDeletelove the colors of the buildings
ReplyDeleteThe color of the buildings is one of the things I found so intriguing too. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteIt IS so green & lush here, although it is much cooler than I expected.
dear Out walking,
ReplyDeleteSounds like the best way to really enjoy the sights of the place....but you passed up some chocolate???? Maybe you are waiting to find a better spot?
love,
Taste and see then share with me
in
NE