This blog is a journal of my 3 week trip to see our daughter Laura in Finland. My friend Ruth S. and I left on Sept 15, 2010 from Chicago IL, arrived in Stockholm Sweden, traveled to Finland, took an overnight cruise trip to St. Petersburg Russia, back to Helsinki Finland, then back to Sweden and left to come back to the states on Oct 6, 2010

I exported these posts from my main blog so they had their own blog and didn't get lost in the middle of my "family life" posts. When I posted them I also changed the format to "first to last" posts, rather than the normal "last posts first." Now you can start at the beginning and read thru to the last.

I really appreciate all those who let me know you stopped by! Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Back to Turku

 We left Sorensons about 10 this morning for the 2-hour drive back to the bach in Turku.  It was a beautiful drive through the countryside.  We can really see a difference in how colorful the trees are now compared to when we arrived, although there isn't near the variety we have at home.  Here it's mainly birch trees turning yellow/gold amid the pines, but it makes for a beautiful view, especially when reflected in the mirror-glass waters of the little lakes/ponds that are scattered everywhere.  Today's trip was mainly through farmland with the occasional little village.  But usually the villages are off a side road, hidden from view by the thick trees along the main road.  Alas, the moose still weren't cooperative and none were to be seen.

 One thing I haven't mentioned is that not only do most houses have ladders on the outside walls from upstairs rooms, but I noticed a lot also have a ladder on the roof.  Mavis says those would be wood-burning homes, and the ladders are for the chimney sweeps!  If there isn't a roof ladder, the chimney sweep will refuse to come to that house.



Mavis suggested lunch at Ikea as we were coming into Turku, so we stopped there.  Then it was time to unpack, sort, organize, repack, and...voila!...it's all in, squeaky cheese and all!  Once we had our bags ready to go, Laura took us for a hike through the forest area near their apartment building, where she found a few wild blueberries for us to enjoy and we saw a variety of mushrooms...some edible and one that is very colorful...red with white spots...but quite deadly.






 Yes, it's "Fall" here too!


When we got back, Mavis had supper ready for us...chicken, cheese, and bread...then it was time to load up the car and head to the port, and here we are.

Our  cabin was on the bottom deck of the ferry boat and we tried just not think about the hundreds of cars and semi-trucks filling the entire floor just above us!   Most of the area was actually two layers of cars, both decks 3 & 4!  It really was a weird feeling to be way down there under all that.  Very crazy how they pack all those vehicles on there...We could barely get the car doors open wide enough to get out.  It was 4 lanes wide,  two sides, then a layer above us too. (They drive onto the lift, then when it's full, they raise it for the bottom layer to fill)  These ferry boats are the "highway" between Finland and Sweden.



 We spent several hours in the main cafeteria room on the ferry-writing, reading, blogging and talking with our computers.  Yeah....and some chocolate & Pringles.  And I might as well admit that Laura and I ate most of the pringles or Ruth will tell you that.  It was kind of like an attack thing?  Mindless?  Next thing we knew they were just gone!

Only one more day on our trip before we leave for home!  Tuesday back in Stockholm.



We arrive in Stockholm at 6:30am.  We have the car with us, so we won't need to be met by someone that early in the morning and then Mavis  Laura will have the car to take us to the airport Wednesday and then they'll head back to the port for their return to Finland.

6 comments:

  1. You're getting too close to being done with blogging this trip! Hard to believe we've been back in the states for almsot a week already. Yeah, those Pringles....glad you and Laura enjoyed 'em -- they did a fast disappearing act!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're home now? I'm so confused...I was at convention this past week so I'm trying to get caught up.
    Still enjoying your online journal!! Even if you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth--Still can't believe the pringles...you were concentrating too hard on your e-mails...haha!

    Jenny--Yes, I got home the 6th of Oct, but wanted to finish blogging my trip so I can have it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. who's MEJ? i tell ya..take a few days off in blogland and people go back to where they came from for a second go 'round and change their name! welcome home whoever you are! Love your pictures..you really have a classy thing going on over here! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mj--MEJ are my initials--I had to get a new google account with gmail, as I'd used up all my photo space :( Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed that about the ferry we were on in Norway- you could barely get out of the car. That one was a lot smaller than the one you were on, though... I think we took a ferry to Crete from mainland Greece (we walked on, so I honestly don't remember vehicles...but it must have been a ferry, right???? ;) Anyway- that was an all night ride on a huge boat... was a blast to explore it. If I'd had no roommates, I'd have (likely) stayed up all night roaming around! ;)

    ReplyDelete