This blog is a journal of my 3 week trip to see our daughter Laura in Finland. My friend Ruth S. and I left on Sept 15, 2010 from Chicago IL, arrived in Stockholm Sweden, traveled to Finland, took an overnight cruise trip to St. Petersburg Russia, back to Helsinki Finland, then back to Sweden and left to come back to the states on Oct 6, 2010

I exported these posts from my main blog so they had their own blog and didn't get lost in the middle of my "family life" posts. When I posted them I also changed the format to "first to last" posts, rather than the normal "last posts first." Now you can start at the beginning and read thru to the last.

I really appreciate all those who let me know you stopped by! Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Wednesday-back to Turku

Beautiful country side-
A cheese factory-
A glass maker-
Evening meeting with Jaana

Between Ruth and I we have over 1,000 pictures already--and we're a week away from going home.  Isn't that going to be fun to go thru!!

  We left Vaasa this morning around 10am to drive back south to the bach near Turku.
 We said our goodbyes to Henry and Larry at Vaasa--Gordon had already left to visit Ireland



 They grow marshmallows in the fields over here.....


We can see such a difference in the colors of the fields & trees since last Friday when we came to Vaasa.
Can you tell I have a facination with the country side?  I think it is so beautiful.
Land of trees & water!

   We stopped at Juustoportti, a cheese factory.  Lots of interesting cheese to sample!




(This cheese is packaged in styrofoam)

  After we left there and drove awhile more, we stopped at Humppila where Mavis wanted us to see a glass factory.  When we got there, Mavis told the man the "Americans" wanted to see him make something!  As he was getting his things ready, a busload of elderly people arrived, so he had a large audience to watch him make a small moose and a colorful fish.  It is fascinating to watch.


  We got back to Laura & Mavis's apt  about 5pm and Mavis fixed a  delicious stir-fry for supper.  At 8pm Jaana arrived, and we had a nice study, visit & tea with her. Jaana's a sign language interpreter,
  She is Finnish, but speaks English quite well.

4 comments:

  1. Ummmm....Maxine....you might want to change your picture number here to over 1,000 pictures! I think we had at least 100 the first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my...how did I miss that?? I don't know what I'd do without your proofing for me!
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it common to package cheese in styrofoam or was there a special reason for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to ask! I didn't really think about it, as I bought this kind to bring home, and was just thought it was packaged this way for shipping? Not really sure. It's sealed in plastic inside.
    Maybe someone else has the answer.

    ReplyDelete