Friday was a really big day. I think I mentioned that we were out for 7 hours. Now if you think I'm going on a little bit in excess on that subject--well you are probably right! I'm quite sure I can say I have ever done so much walking at one time in my life! I'm just amazed at myself! haha!
Here's a map to give you an idea of where we went.
We left from the train station (Marked with a T) we went thru the area that I posted earlier, had lunch at the chinese buffett, and then walked, crossing a bridge into old town area, around and came out onto the water side where I started marking our route.
We were looking for a museum that Laura had taken Meshayla to last summer, but it wasn't where Laura thought it was. So, in the process of looking for it we had a deightful tour of a large area of the wharf and another island! We walked along the waters edge and
We crossed a bridge onto the island of Skepps-holmen and made a circle of that island, crossed back over the bridge and clear around past point B on the map, crossing another bridge, onto another island and into the middle of it, finally arriving at our destination of Junibacken, a museum about the books by Astrid Lindgren (Pippi Longstocking). What a fun place! Both Ruth and I agreed how fun it would have been to have our grandkids there!
You can see the water's edge at the end of this street of old town. The sun was shinning, so it does not show up so well in the picture.
Scenes accross the waters of the Baltic sea
The bicycles have their own marked lane--don't walk there!
As we walked the street, we could see the narrow winding streets leading back into the old town area. And yes, the cars are compact here. We did not see one SUV! some mini vans yes, but that was the largest.
If you look closely at these photos, you can see some of the same scenery from accross on the other side of the waters!
See, now we're on the other side--a different island!
This ship was ancored here & it really intriged me. I took way too many photos of it, every angle!
All the pointed tops showing above the trees was a interesting sight. Later we got a picture of all the buildings in a row.
Now I'm sorry, I've taken way too long tonight, so will have to come back and post the musum pictures later. I won't do a new blog post, I will just add them on here.
We road back to the train station, took the train back to our starting point, got the car, returned to our friends the Skalleberg's and then they took us into a big mall for supper at the huge food court there.
Beautiful and interesting photos.
ReplyDeleteIf you're worried about spelling, don't, unless you're going to print in out someday, then recheck. Good days to you!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the tour, Maxine. I just read all of your travel posts and enjoyed each one. It may be my only time to see the area you are seeing! Linda
ReplyDeleteWhere are all the ppl? Most of the street pix show very little, if any, ppl. When we were in London, ppl all over. We also noticed, in England, SMALL cars and SUVs. Few pu trucks. We saw 1 US size redneck pu that looked so odd there. We saw a 60's Chev that seemed to take up most of the road.
ReplyDeleteI'm really enjoying following you on your trip! Thank you for sharing it with us, and this will be wonderful for YOU to look back on and reminisce.
ReplyDeleteAnd if you want to do a new blog post on the museum, do it! It's your blog after all. :>) (I'm saying that mostly because I get your posts in my reader and that way I don't have to click back over and check *cough*lazy*cough*) :>)
The pictures with all the pointed roofs along the tree line...very cool!
ReplyDeleteI so loved the way you did your photos. Can't wait for the next installment! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteI love the big picture of the water with the large buildings in the background. Than ks for letting us tour on your dollar!
ReplyDeletedear Close to the water,
ReplyDeleteI can't believe it has been almost a week already!
love,
Remembering
"Near the sea, you forget to count the days"
in
NE