This blog is a journal of my 3 week trip to see our daughter Laura in Finland. My friend Ruth S. and I left on Sept 15, 2010 from Chicago IL, arrived in Stockholm Sweden, traveled to Finland, took an overnight cruise trip to St. Petersburg Russia, back to Helsinki Finland, then back to Sweden and left to come back to the states on Oct 6, 2010

I exported these posts from my main blog so they had their own blog and didn't get lost in the middle of my "family life" posts. When I posted them I also changed the format to "first to last" posts, rather than the normal "last posts first." Now you can start at the beginning and read thru to the last.

I really appreciate all those who let me know you stopped by! Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Junibacken

I changed my mind.  A new post after all.

This was a fun museum and if we would have known how to get there earlier we would have had more time to enjoy it.  Of course if we would have had more time then we most likely would have spent too much time and therefore too much money at the gift shop also!  Anyway I was happy to get to visit it, and now I want to read more of Astrid Lindgrens story's.  Ruth and I both agreed our grandchildren would have fun there.  Most of the area is a children's play area in the museum, and there was quite a crowd there when we arrived.  We managed to catch the last "train tour" of the day, and it was a very unique experience!
Come along, and I'll try to give you a bit of a tour of what we saw there.


This was the "train" trolley, or whatever you want to call it.  There were compartments with these benches to sit in, then a bar was placed in front of us.  As we left the "station" it went around the inside of a huge dark area with different scenes from A.L.'s books.  Sometimes we went up, sometimes down. I suppose we made a big circle, it was hard to tell.  All the time we heard a recording of what the scenes in front of us represented.  Generally part of the story that the scene was about. It was quite enchanting!
I did take quite a few pictures, but because of the distance, movement and changing lights, some are hard to make much of.  this will give you a little glimpse of the idea.
It did make me want to go find the stories and read them, especially after I have the "voice" in my head!

Of course I am familiar with Pippi Longstockings, and that's what the largest room of the musuem was dedicated too.
The house & Pippi's horse.
The kitchen
Pippi's attic room


The gift shop was quite large, and very fun to look around in (and buy a few things) but I did not take any pictures there.

As we came back around and off the island, we all decided that we had had quite enough walking for one day, and caught a bus back to the train station.  I was quite amused to see this sign on this building.  Does this look like the 7-11 near YOU?



Back at the bus station Ruth and I declared a coffee stop.  We were rather in a hurry,  but it had been a long day and we still had a train ride and trip by car before arriving at our supper destination, so our latte's and pasteries didn't spoil our supper by any means.

Our evening meal was at the home of a girl originally from Greece. Daphne V. She is a Dr. here.  We had a delicious meal, and lovely visit with her and the other lady pictured here Adri L.who did missionary work here for many years but is now living in an assisted living apt.

After this it was back to our cabin for the night and ready for another big day of sightseeing by boat on Saturday!

13 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome museum! Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! The museum musta been really amazing!! How fun!!
    Love, Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see a picture of Adri too! We got to see her when she was on her home visits. I am really enjoying your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun museum. Who doesn't remember the stories of Pippi Longstocking. She was a favorite of mine. Enjoyed looking at your pictures today. Another day filled with exciting and new things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I loved Pippi Longstocking as a kid!!! another day with your daughter, full of fun & fellowship. What more could you ask for?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that was me...vinda...not sure why it come up like that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoyed this! I dressed up as Pippi Longstockings as a kid one time! put wire in my braids to make them stick out!! I'm also enjoying following you on google earth!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the pictures. We didn't make it to that museum when we were there but maybe when we go see Laura we will be able to go there. I remember the wax museum in Denmark across from the train station I believe that we went to that was really neat.

    Your wild haired grandchild here is learning to walk between things without hanging on to stuff. She thinks she is pretty neat stuff. I have to say her mommy and daddy do to. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear MuseumMadness,

    This would have been so much fun to see!

    love,
    Pips'Nana (No Pippi here!)
    in
    NE

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know the really "funny" thing is that I did NOT see the no photography sign until after I had taken all these, & went back to catch a picture of the train seat, & took the picture, THEN saw the "NO" sign!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank for sharing your forbidden pics. They are great. Looks like you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoying following your trip! You are taking beautiful photos:-) Thanks for sharing your special experience with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete