This picture is of Melanie and her to cuties, Ingrid (3) & Vikter (1). We did get to meet her husband on Wed. eve, but he was working this evening when we were together. Sorry about the picture quality, we messed up on the focus.
Now next it's on to Wednesday.
We went to Anders and Rita's home in Mariehamn where we had such a lovely lunch with Rita.
I was totally in love with her red tile floors!
After a lovely lunch of salad, squash soup, Quiche, bread and fruit salad and whipped cream for dessert, Rita took us out to their "summer house". It was actually on a different Island, but many of the smaller and close islands are connected by bridges & some of the waterways go under the highways with very little noticable difference that you've actually crossed to another island.
The summer house is about 15 minutes out of the city. It's a beautiful place on a point, with wonderful views of the water and other islands on three sides. Anders has an extensive art collection there, and it was quite interesting to see. Anders and Bjorn Borg are friends, and a few years ago Anders built a tennis court at the summer home with seating for 2000. Borg has had a tennis camp there, and there have also been some music venues performed in the arena.This tile photo shows a aerial view of the estate and surrounding islands. and yes it's as beautiful as it looks!
Of course we had to stick our hands in the water!
The water is so clear and beautiful. Some of the girls have been swimming here when they've visited before.
This is the swimming pool, water from the sea is put thru a purifier and then piped up to the pool
There were delightful decks, and tables all around 2 sides of the house.
All of course with a delightful view of the sea
I was quite amused to see Sam's twin sunning himself in the window here in Finland!
A lovely green house, with orange, peach, fig, lemon and orange trees, along with other flowers, plants & trees!
See another kitty sunning himself on the rock? Anders likes cats, so we saw several around the grounds. I'd like to live here too!
I'm intrigued with boats & ships. I think they are beautiful! I always wanted to decorate a room in nautical theme, and it seems so silly since we are so not anywhere near water!
Annika and Rita visiting. Along with being an art collector, Anders has lots of books on artists & art. The home is filled with paintings.
Laura played beautiful music in the beautiful music room on the beautiful grand piano!
I could go on and on with the photos, but of course that's not possible. You can see how beautiful the place is, but I would like to say that as awesome as it was, it was our time and getting acquainted with Rita that was where the real beauty was.
Wednesday evening was our last night on Aland Islands. We enjoyed Annika and Christa's meeting together with the friends there and then a visit over tea after we got back to Camille & Ivo's.
We caught a couple hours sleep, then Annika took us to catch the 3 a.m. ferry to Vaasa--
But that's for the next post tomorrow evening as we will be gone all day tomorrow.
Thanks for traveling along, I hope you're enjoying the tour.
What a beautiful home. Some of my favorite decor there... love the tiled floors, too!
ReplyDeleteWow! We just got back from 4 days of convention, lot of pix to catch up on. Talked to Bonita K. & told her I followed your blog. She laughed and said she didn't know how you and her sis-in-law got anything done as you are always on blogs or FB. :D
ReplyDeleteOhhh... I need a summer house on an island! With red tile floors, of course! Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteohhhh.....sure do wish I would have stowed away in one of your suitcases...and am quite sure I"m not the only one!!
ReplyDeleteTotally awesome pictures so know you are having a totally awesome time! Love the house and love the picture of the kitty in the window!! Thanks for taking time to keep us in your travels!!! Love you!
ReplyDelete