This blog is a journal of my 3 week trip to see our daughter Laura in Finland. My friend Ruth S. and I left on Sept 15, 2010 from Chicago IL, arrived in Stockholm Sweden, traveled to Finland, took an overnight cruise trip to St. Petersburg Russia, back to Helsinki Finland, then back to Sweden and left to come back to the states on Oct 6, 2010

I exported these posts from my main blog so they had their own blog and didn't get lost in the middle of my "family life" posts. When I posted them I also changed the format to "first to last" posts, rather than the normal "last posts first." Now you can start at the beginning and read thru to the last.

I really appreciate all those who let me know you stopped by! Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Mariehamn-Aland Islands

Part 1
I'll see how far I get.
Monday and Tuesday--

We met several lovely families here, and enjoyed our time on these Islands very much.  It was simply beautiful!


 This is one more, taken from the ferry soon before we docked.





 A few scenes from the down town area that we took just a quick look at when we got into town.

This area of the Baltic Sea is very full of small islands, and while on the ferry we were never where we really couldn't see land somewhere around us, though one time we looked out and didn't see land out the front window as far as we could see, but out a side window there was an island not far away.  Aland is owned by Finland, but has it's own government & flag, and Swedish is the main language.  Aland is made up of 6,500 islands, most of which are close and connected by bridges and you're often not really aware of crossing from one island to the next.  Some islands are only reached by boat or plane.
  When we arrived at Mariehamn, Laura drove us around Mariehamn to point out various points of interest.  When she came to Scandinavia in July 2007, just before conventions, and after conventions she was first here on Aland where she was in Swedish language school 6 hrs a day for 7 months!  Yes, she speaks Swedish very fluently, and is now learning Finnish. 
For supper and the evening we drove about 30 minutes out to Johan & Johanna F--'s home.  They have 3 children, Felicia (9), Ellen (7), and Issac (3).   Annika I and Christa S, were also there.  Annika is from Sweden and Christa is  from North Dakota originally, but her family moved to Helsinki when she was 12.
 To H---'s for the night.  They have two girls, Linn (4) and Tindra (3), adorable white-blonde little girls who speak both Swedish (dad) and Finnish (mom), but no English yet.  All the adults we've met speak English fluently.  Here on Aland, the children begin learning English in 2nd grade, so Felicia last night could speak it fairly well, and Ellen is just starting to learn it this year.  Ivo H is a captain on a Saab 340 for Nextjet.  He flies from Aland to Sweden and Finland and is usually home every night.  Camilla is a special ed teacher, but only works 17 hours a week.  After the little girls were in bed, we had tea and a visit before calling it a day.

Music time after supper--





 Back to the home where we spent our nights while at Mariehamn
These windows overlook a lovely view of the Sea

Ummm!

We went to visit and have lunch with Annika and Christa and saw this little guy for a moment.  2 cute kids in this family who we got to see more of later on.
 The girls are staying at this very old farm house that has had a little bit of updating, but is soon to get more.  This old oven is still in the kitchen--Not sure that it gets to stay, as it no longer works.  It does make quite a picturesque place to dry apples tho!


 The newer appliances served Annika quite well in the delicious homemade bread she had made.
After lunch, we drove to the northern edge of the main Aland island group, about a half hour drive, and we walked around there and stuck our fingers in the North Sea!  It's so beautiful here.  It was pouring rain all day until we were on our drive north, and after we got there the sun came out and it was just beautiful.  Aland reminds us of the foothills of Colorado, but with no aspen trees or mountains to see.  Very rocky, lots of pine trees, scrub brush, etc, but unlike Colorado, views of the sea very often.  (Have I said how beautiful I think it is??!!)--Ruth's words, but I echo them!








 I did not get these in perfect order, it dosen't really matter.
We did have a lovely day, and there is so much to see that we won't get it all in, and way too many photos of what we did see!

More Aland next time.
Until then, right now it's very late, Sat. night while we're in Vaasa.  Maybe I will have some time tomorrow to catch up a bit further.  I'm so glad Ruth is doing such a great job of writing things down so I can refer back to them, as I would have a very difficult time remembering any names or places!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the old kitchen - with the old oven! What character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not tell you how much I am loving checking in on your blog everyday! I feel like I have been tucked away in your suitcase and am being let out for little peaks of beauty. Beauty in the fellowship, beauty in the land...beauty all around!

    The kitchen table that was set was gorgeous...the purple napkins just jumped right out of the picture. Purple just happens to be my favorite color. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all I can add is WOW!! And thanks again for all your information on all you get to see and do so that we here at home can go right along with you. At least with our computers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That old oven is very similar to what a lot of the villagers here use.
    And the purple napkins grabbed me, too- love them!

    ReplyDelete