This blog is a journal of my 3 week trip to see our daughter Laura in Finland. My friend Ruth S. and I left on Sept 15, 2010 from Chicago IL, arrived in Stockholm Sweden, traveled to Finland, took an overnight cruise trip to St. Petersburg Russia, back to Helsinki Finland, then back to Sweden and left to come back to the states on Oct 6, 2010

I exported these posts from my main blog so they had their own blog and didn't get lost in the middle of my "family life" posts. When I posted them I also changed the format to "first to last" posts, rather than the normal "last posts first." Now you can start at the beginning and read thru to the last.

I really appreciate all those who let me know you stopped by! Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

This mornings musings

Saturday 9-25

Breaking in the middle again.

We are here near Vaasa at the conv. grounds.  Yesterday on our trip up (about 4.5 hr.) we were mostly in the rain.  This morning as I write this (it is 11:30 p.m. for my family back home) It is just light out and I can see it is still rainy this morning.  Maybe it will hinder some of our plans, maybe not.

It's a bit difficult when I'm working several days behind and want to post things from "now"!
Anyway I thought I'd post a few things that we notice here.
-It seems to be more the custom to go to bed later, and get up later than what we generally do in the USA  (NOT that I'm complaining by any means!)
-Bathrooms are WC, Water closets, and instead of a handle to push down to flush, there is a button on the back of the stool to push, often with "more" or "less" choice for water.  Some have a knob on the back to pull up to flush.
-The larger interstates/highways are standard sizes, but many of the other roads are much smaller than ours I suppose more like our un-paved country roads.
-Bicycle paths and bus stops are all along the roads.
-The trees here in Finland are ash, birch, & pine.  Pretty much lots of "forest"
-Lots of rock here, in places it has to be blasted with dynamite to get thru for roads.
-On the way up to this area yesterday we saw more fields-- oats, barley, sugar beets, wheat & rye.
-Red!!  We just love all the red buildings!
-The light switches are common on the outside of the rooms, rather than the inside.
-After Meshayla came home last year, she said "they eat all the time there"--well not totally true of course, but yesterday we did have breakfast, lunch on our trip, coffee when we got here, supper, coffee & pastries later in town where we went to visit a friend, and then bedtime snack when we got back home.
-We have not seen overweight people here like we do in the states!
-I've been told that I remind people of Meshayla--uh, oh!!  Yes, I obviously talk way too much!
-No, I didn't seem to be affected by the motion on the boats, although a couple times I would catch myself feeling a bit off balance.  It was a little more noticeable for me in our cabin the other night when trying to sleep.
--I was the last one to bed/sleep last night and the first one awake & up this morning.  That was not by choice.  Maybe the coffee is extra strong here?
Enough trivia for this morning.
Back to the daily journal posts later!

8 comments:

  1. If everybody walks all the time, you can get away with eating a lot more and not gaining weight. I wish it was more convenient to walk around here, and it is the middle of the day again for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the 'trivia'!!! I am lovin' every minute of YOUR trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear fun facts,

    Good you are making note of things like this, some things just aren't shown in pictures!

    love,
    Always a fan of RED
    in
    NE

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're covering a lot of territory, Ms. M! Your readers are enjoying the "tour". Seems that Finland is very similar to other countries like Sweden, Norway, and Denmark...yet each country has its own special characteristics. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So with all your walking and eating, it will be interesting to see if you gain/loose any weight by the time you get home! hehehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK...I am moving! Any where there is a custom of getting up later...thats the place for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never drank coffee regularly until I came to Europe. Then, after 5 years of good coffee, I went back home for a year... and was horrified at the coffee most Americans drink. You know- I love America and Americans very much (!!) but I must say- the average American coffee is the most awful stuff. So I'm guessing it could be the coffee! Although- I don't, of course, know what yours is like in your house! ;)

    ReplyDelete