If I could manage to keep notes on what we're doing as I go, I'd be better off. I realize that I already am having a problem remembering what we did on Thursday afternoon, and this is only Saturday evening. If I don't keep this journal updated often, I will get back home and everything will be a total blur! It's always rather strange to look at Laura's blog (where she has the time difference posted) or talk to her on the phone and realize the time difference between us when I'm home, but it's even stranger to be on this side of the water and look at my computer and see that it's still middle of the afternoon at home when it's bedtime here!
We're having a lovely time of course, and our days have been very full. Sleep has not been too much of a priority, although we've been tired enough at the end of the day to thoroughly enjoy a good solid nights sleep. I would imagine all the walking we're doing has something to do with that--I wish I had an idea how many miles we've walked in the last 2 days--on Friday we were out and about for 7 hours, and alot of that was on our feet!
I wake up here about 6 a.m. just like I do at home. and the time difference didn't affect me a whole lot after coming over. I'm guessing when I get home I'll probably crash for several days!
I'll continue with my journal back to-
Thursday afternoon
After leaving the airport we came to Obbe & Patty S's here in Stockholm where Patty had breakfast ready for us! Patty is from Idaho, but has lived here since marrying Obbe almost 27 years ago. We checked/wrote our mail and by then we were pretty tired & enjoyed a 2 hour nap before we set of to do a bit of sight seeing & shopping.
The grounds/conv. building
This family owns a greenhouse/nursery business. Here in Stockholm it is cooler than at home (at least when I left) and it is just barely starting to show some changing of color in the leaves/foliage However the big difference that I notice is that the grass is still very green and the flowers all are blooming pretty much like summer at home.
We had a late lunch at a food court & then walked around the shopping center to see the sights.
well, that is we did after we made a stop to fortify ourselves with a latte! No problem with taking care of Ruth's & my coffee addiction.....we've discovered they have all sorts of coffee shops on every corner and a few in between!
We learned very quickly that in this city there are three basic modes of transportation....Your feet, your bicycle or the train! My future photos will give more proof to this!
The open air market, with delicious looking fresh produce. See the mushrooms in the lower picture?
The other thing we discovered very quickly is that the clouds roll in and the weather changes very quickly without notice. All of a sudden it's raining. No one here seems affected by it in the least. We saw children dressed in darling little rain outfits. The umbrellas come out, the babies in their buggys get covered up and the people keep right on with their walking.
We finished our trip to the square with a quick trip to the grocery store, wanting to pick up a few things as we were heading out to a cabin that the family owns about 15 miles from here.
I was quite interested to see pear jam on the shelves of the store! Although I make pear jam at home, and it's one of our favorites, I don't believe I've ever seen it in the grocery stores that I frequent.Coming next--Our cabin by the sea, and Fridays excursion into Stockholm by train, old town & Junibacken, a museum about the books by Astrid Lindgren(Pippi Longstocking).
Hope you all have a good night & wonderful Sunday tomorrow. We will be gathering here at the home where we're staying and looking forward to meeting some more of the friends here.
Ruth has been very good at getting names & keeping track of where we've been & what we've done, so maybe I can keep things straight after all *smile*!
Thank you all for your greetings & comments--it's fun to share our journey with you.
I think you are so wise(when time allows)to journal as you go. SO much you want to remember seems to fade and get mixed up in your mind when you get back from vacation.
ReplyDeleteI am loving following along with you...each new day is an adventure for me and I am just sitting behind the computer screen following you. ;-)
Thanks so much for sharing! And here will be a little smile for you....Sven S was 2 when I was there! Now I am sure he is all grown up. I love seeing all these things that I wanted to go visit again but haven't made it back for. Will you be seeing Skansen? It was a nice way to spend a day. I am so glad you are enjoying your stay and a big hello from us to Laura!
ReplyDeleteWhat a smart thing to do! You will be glad you kept up your online diary. It's great to see some familiar sights in your first post. I see one very happy daughter in these pictures.
ReplyDeleteIt's so fun to see your trip! What special memories you will have!
ReplyDeleteSo interesting to read about your trip so far and all the excitment it is!! Tell Laura "HI" for us and know you are valuing each and every second with each other!! Are Ruth and Rob the ones who used to live in Kearney? Who are their kids? Will try to keep checking your blog..it is fantastic! You will never forget!!!! Love ya!! Garland and Lorna
ReplyDeleteYay! Another update from you! Can't wait to see Friday's and Saturday's updates. As I type this, you're probably sleeping and it's Sunday morning. It's 9:06 p.m. on Saturday here.
ReplyDeleteWow Jenny, as I am typing this, it is 9:36 here! We're not even an hour east of you, hmmm. :) Maxine, like others, I am enjoying your journal. Pat and I were in England a few yrs ago and did not keep any sort of journal, we should have.
ReplyDeleteoh this is so much fun, "journeying" along with you :)
ReplyDeleteWhen we were in Africa, I didn't have a computer but i kept a little journal by hand & wrote in it every night...plces, homes, sights and names!!! gotta go to bed. Looking forward to a wonderful sunday morning here and for you its almost time to get up :)
so good to see your pics...especially of that Laura girl's smiling face! (I really like that pink skirt and scarf, too!) Have a good journey.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking us on your journey today (whatever "today" is). ;) I was noticing Laura's skirt and scarf too...very cute.
ReplyDeleteWe are 7 hours ahead of CST.
ReplyDeleteChrista, right now Sven is in the states working for the McC. in the Kimbell area!
Lorna, yes. Eric, Amy and Stacie.
Wow Max! Maybe I will see him when we go to Bird City. That always makes you aware of how MUCH time has passed, when a child is all the sudden an adult!
ReplyDeleteAs so many others have said, I am enjoying your posts and your journeying along. You will be so happy this is done.
ReplyDeleteAnd isn't Sweden the coffee capital of the world? I've read so much about Swedes not being able to get along without their coffee.
oh this is going to be good! thanks for letting us join you in your travels! lovely pictures and people and places!! have a wonderful time!!!
ReplyDeletedear CoffeeChick,
ReplyDeletegood thing coffee is pretty much universal....what in the world would you do? I did not know what i was missing for a looooong time.
Now i sure look for the nearest place in the morning when we travel!
love,
The late~coffee~bloomer~chick
in
NE
What I wouldn't give for that BREAD... Europe has the BEST!!! I've missed it ever since I was there!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Carbs Count in NE