This blog is a journal of my 3 week trip to see our daughter Laura in Finland. My friend Ruth S. and I left on Sept 15, 2010 from Chicago IL, arrived in Stockholm Sweden, traveled to Finland, took an overnight cruise trip to St. Petersburg Russia, back to Helsinki Finland, then back to Sweden and left to come back to the states on Oct 6, 2010

I exported these posts from my main blog so they had their own blog and didn't get lost in the middle of my "family life" posts. When I posted them I also changed the format to "first to last" posts, rather than the normal "last posts first." Now you can start at the beginning and read thru to the last.

I really appreciate all those who let me know you stopped by! Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Monday, our trip to Raahe


(Added a few more photos at the end)

Monday morning we left to go to Raahe to visit Maija. She speaks and understands only Finnish, so we were treated to many smiles & words that we didn't understand, but that made us feel very welcome.
We enjoyed a beautiful and delicious lunch and sweet fellowship with her. After lunch we had a little meeting with her, as she is quite some distance from our other friends, and she has been unable to travel also.

Afterwards we had "Coffee"--
With 4 desserts!! Aiee, aiee. A baked pancake with the cloudberry and rhubarb sauces, two types of cheesecake, and a plate of cookies! Well, you can only eat so much, no matter how wonderfully delicious it all is, and no matter how much Maija wants us to eat it all! We left about 3pm to head back to Vaasa.
Not far south of Raahe is a sand dune area that Mavis wanted us to see, so we drove along the road by the sea where that is. Very picturesque! I tried out my "stitching" setting on my camera, but I'm not sure that I did it right.
When we got back to Henry's, Laura gave us a tour of the buildings on the grounds She said there's an average of 70 people here for convention. It's kind of a shock to see such a small room for the meetings after what we are used to! It was very fun to see the place, thinking of Meshayla's visit here last year, and all that she shared about her time here!
After supper Larry took Gordon to the airport as he's flying to Stockholm for a couple days before going to Ireland (his home country) for several months.

It had froze for the first time Sunday night, so the fields of sunflowers that were filled with sunflowers with their bright yellow faces turned towards the sunny skies when we saw them the few days before, were now brown and covered with frost, their faces facing the ground.
There was fog drifting in and out, around the corners, lifting in some places, and covering us in others, the morning sun making the frost sparkle as we drove thru the picturesque countryside in the morning.
Beautiful. Just Beautiful.
Now, Unfortunately my blog is telling me that I have used my limit on picture space.
I'm not positive what I'm going to do yet. I do think I will continue the writing part of my journal on here for now, I may have to transfer the whole Finland journal to a different blog.
I'll think about it for a bit, keep writing and let you know. I could post the rest of them in a facebook album too. If any of you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know, I know some of of you have done the new blog & transfer thing.
Enjoy your Sunday, and many many happy birthday wishes to my daughter Relyssa who turns 19 today!!
I love you Lyss!!





I've got a new account set up, so I can finally post some more--However it's really giving me fits and is taking forever to load photos, as I can't get the newer editor to work.
Tonight (Monday the 4th) we're heading to Stockholm from Turku on the ferry, and will spend Tues in Sweden, then we leave Wed. a.m.
There will be wireless on the boat tonight, so if I can get blogger to cooperate, I may have some time to catch up on more posts.

6 comments:

  1. Maxine - I use Webshots to host the majority of my pictures and then insert the link into the actual blog to save on # of pictures using up the blog photo limits. You could use any of the photo sharing websites to do that... I'm sure there are some I'm not aware of since I started with Webshots way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done what Amy said - with photobucket as well.

    But I don't always do that - always wondered what I would do if I reached my photo limit on here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you migrate the trip posts to a special blog with a link on this one? Just a thought. Never thought much about reaching the limit. Is this something I can check? hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maxine - sign up for a different e-mail address through gmail and change the blog administrator to that e-mail address and continue blogging - it will go to that address on picasa and not interrupt - I had to do that a long time ago on my blog! It isn't difficult to do either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Karen! That makes the most sense. Anita--I had thought I could do that, but tried to add more on another one of my blogs. it's Google that gives you the limit on the photo space, and I remember reading that a long time ago, but didn't know how it worked.

    ReplyDelete