This blog is a journal of my 3 week trip to see our daughter Laura in Finland. My friend Ruth S. and I left on Sept 15, 2010 from Chicago IL, arrived in Stockholm Sweden, traveled to Finland, took an overnight cruise trip to St. Petersburg Russia, back to Helsinki Finland, then back to Sweden and left to come back to the states on Oct 6, 2010

I exported these posts from my main blog so they had their own blog and didn't get lost in the middle of my "family life" posts. When I posted them I also changed the format to "first to last" posts, rather than the normal "last posts first." Now you can start at the beginning and read thru to the last.

I really appreciate all those who let me know you stopped by! Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Vaasa-2

Saturday morning we set off for town to do some sight seeing, shopping, and meet up with one of Laura's Finnish teachers. We had lunch together at a Chinese buffet.  Yes, it was raining so we pulled out the umbrellas.  I find it amusing that you will see people's umbrellas lined up at the door of a shop.  No one seems too concerned that someone will walk off with it.

After we were back home in the evening we enjoyed violin and flute music with Laura and Kristal.  She is from Australia originally, but after being here as an exchange student, has come back to this area to work.
We enjoyed having her spend the weekend with us (She lives in the Helsinki area)






We were happy to wake up to sunshine and a beautiful day on Sunday!


This was our group on Sunday--We enjoyed lunch at Peter & Ana's with their two little girls (at half two) --1:30-- :)  You will also see Henry in the back on the left,  In the middle, Larry, Mavis, then Ruth-
Henri's daughter and  Gordon on the end.  in the front right is Kristal beside me.

 This is the building used during convention--

We were happy to see it like this, Sunday night it got quite cold, and froze so when we left on our day trip on Monday all the flowers were gray & drooping.

Next--our trip to Raahe on Monday

7 comments:

  1. you're going to come home with some really good memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so lovely and green and colorful, when the sun shines it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So was the Sunday mtg in English? I was in Mexico one time and I spoke English and they spoke Spanish. When we were in London, everyone spoke English... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Sunday meeting was in Swedish, Larry translated us. Laura and Gorden took a turn translating into English for us. We had a meeting on Monday with a lady & it was in Finnish & Mavis translated us-every sentence or so, and that was a new & rather nerve racking experience!! Laura translated them into English for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Max!! It has gone way too fast, I am sure but now you have an awsum memory bank! And you look so pretty in every picture...you are radiating with pure pleasure and love!! Love you! Lorna and Garland

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I haven't commented before, but just haven't had a chance to look at your blog, so now I've looked at most of it at one time! You've got some gorgeous pics that you could have "blown up" for a wall hanging! It's so nice that you could go and spend time with your daughter, meet the friends over there, travel around and see the sights all in one! I guess my favorite parts are seeing how happy your daughter looks to be with you and even to be laboring over there, and also seeing all the friends at the meetings and little gatherings of fellowship! I didn't think I'd know anyone, but knew both Mavis and Larry S., since I grew up in ND. Also met Henry (can't think of his last name) when he and his late wife, Carol (Sorenson) ? were in Seattle, WA. We knew Carol so well, and got to see them off at the airport! This is great to "take this trip", just sitting here at the computer! Sorry I took up so much room, but just had to comment! So happy for you and you'll never forget this great privilege!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for always including pictures of your little gatherings on the Sundays you were there. Helps us to picture our brethren over there...expands our hearts and our borders.

    ReplyDelete